Monday 6 September 2010

ASSIGNMENT 2 FINAL SUBMISSION


EMPTY TABLES

PATTERN


I had just missed a rain storm in Covent garden when I noticed that the outside cafe was deserted. I instantly saw the pattern in both the tables and the chairs. I only had a small window to take the image as the cafe owner was going to wipe down the tables so the tourists could eat outside again. I like this abstract composition of the shapes, colours and patterns.


f13 1/30 sec


STEPPING UP

DIAGONALS


I had planned this image for a while and had been back several times to this location to try to capture the image I wanted. I had taken many pictures with people running past, but it did not work. I returned on a very sunny day and noticed instantly the strong shadows that enhanced the diagonal shape. This is a very extreme example of using diagonal lines in images, but I really like its abstract point of view, and the small shadow breaking the diagonal lines which gives it a sense of reality.

f16 1/100 sec




REFLECTED CITY


HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL LINES




I stumbled on this image by chance whilst walking in the city of London on my way to photograph the Gerkin building. I noticed the reflection of tower 42 in the adjacent glassed office block. I wanted to capture the contrast of the horizontal and vertical lines. I moved my position so that I could capture the full reflection of the vertical building in the horizontal glass panels. I think the image is enhanced by the limited colour palette and the reflection if the sky in the glass panels


f16 1/30 sec




UP INTO THE CLOUDS


CURVES



An abstract view of the London eye. I experimented with different compositions to show the curved detail of the wheel. I choose to shoot the wheel against the Victorian lamppost which is sited on the embankment below. I wanted to create and more abstract view and also to give the image a sense of scale with the contrast of the post and the wheel. The image is further enhanced with the cloudy sky hence the title.


f8 1/250 sec



NO STOPPING


DISTINCT AND IRREGULAR SHAPES



I noticed that Piccadilly circus had just had its lines repainted. I first noticed the contrast between the dark tarmac and the white lines. My second observation was that the lines made quite distinctive shapes. I took several compositions experimenting with the balance of the shapes. I like this image, as my final submission as I like the contrast of the hard white lines against the curve of the soft yellow line. I had to shoot down on the subject to exclude the busy background.


f9 1/80 sec



RUNNING BY


IMPLIED TRIANGLES




A moment in time after a quick storm. I was trying to capture the refection of the buildings in this puddle when I noticed the runner approaching. I adjusted my shutter speed to capture the motion sharply. I had already cropped the image in the camera as I wanted to just capture the reflection to concentrate the eye on the main subject. I think there are two triangles in this photograph. The obvious shape of the runners reflection, but also relationship between the post, the runner and the reflective light in the background.


f 5 1/60 sec

TWO MASTERS


TWO POINTS

Photograph taken in sunlight to create a shiloutte of the two statues. Strong dominating subjects against a strong and dominating sky. Added some extra flash to the front statue to capture some of the detail in the shaded foreground.


f4.5 1/1000 sec



LOOKING DOWN


SINGLE POINT DOMINATING THE COMPOSITION




Looking down from the second floor observation deck at the Tate modern. I had planned any image from here to fit the brief of pattern. Often you get shapes forming from the groups of people below. I was drawn to the ladies red hat , which made her stand out from the crowd. I captured her when she was stationary and every one else is moving around, making her more distinctive from the others. I also tried to place her within the composition on a line of the third, to help draw the viewers eye to her. This is not a conventional composition of a single item in a photograph, but I think it is a different way to show this subject matter.
I would have liked to improve the sharpness of this image as I had to hand hold the camera, as tripods are not allowed in the Tate.


f 4.5 1/20 sec




RUNNING BETWEEN THE LINES

RHYTHM




Piccadilly circus has just been repainted and I noticed the pattern that was being made by the large box junction. It was the continuous pattern to the boxes that captured my eye. I cropped the image in the camera ( 70mm) to fill the frame with the shape of the lines. I tool several images when cars past, using a slow shutter speed to create blur. I suddenly saw a man running past as the traffic was stopped by the lights, the resulting image is the outcome of that moment. It was a bright sunny day so I concentrated capturing the whole shadow of the man, rather than his whole body. I think the blur of the figure creates movement. I would have liked to improve the exposure levels of this image as the colour has been burnt out a little by the bright sun.


f5 1/30 sec




A DIFFERENT VIEWPOINT



SEVERAL POINTS IN A DELIBERATE SHAPE



Abstract view of the London eye, taken from below the arms of the wheel. I wanted to create a pattern with the shape of the wires. I used a narrow aperture to ensure that the image was fully sharp. I think the composition is improved by the contrast of the "fluffy" clouds against the harsh wire shapes. I would have liked to submitted this image horizontally. which improves the composition of the photograph.



f20 1/40 sec

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.