Saturday 11 May 2013

RAW CONVERSION- EXERCISE

Exercise
  • Demonstrate the processing advantages of a raw image.
  • compare and contrast the same image taken and processed
  • as a jpeg by your camera.
  • Show the same image under three different lighting conditions
  • natural light, artificial light, high dynamic light
compare the following
  • dynamic range
  • white balance and colour
  • local adjustments ( often by raw conversion)


IMAGE 1- NATURAL LIGHT

bright light sunlight overhead
image taken in shade
iso 200
f10 1/30 sec
WB preset to avail light


original jpeg



original raw file
The first variance that is very noticeable is the colour 
tone between the two images. 

The image was taken in shaded light so the camera
would have read this as blue light so the jpeg
 has been balanced by the camera setting 
by adding red so the image is very green/blue.

The raw image was also taken under blue available light. 
The variance is the raw image is very red/green. 
The kelvin value is 7050 which means the
image will be captured as yellow/red tones.
There has been no added blue to reduce 
balance the overall hue.

the linear red reading in the raw image is 121 against 105 of 
the j peg.

The jpeg image seems that have better contrast than the
raw image which seems lack light and dark tones.
I also think the yellow tones in the raw images are
too high and therefore the colour looks incorrect
to the actual leaf. 

PROCESSED IMAGES

processed jpeg




processed raw image


processing notes

I added light to both images by adding white in photo
shop via level changing.

I also added contrast to give definition of light an dark
to show the variation between the shadow and highlights.

I choose to colour balance both image as jpegs so I
converted the raw image with white balance set as 
shot.

In both images I added blue, but with the raw image
 I changed the cyan levels to reduce/yellow tones

findings

Overall I prefer the camera's conversion levels via
the jpeg image. I think the biggest variation that is 
better is the initial contrast levels. The image has 
very dark shadows in the rigids and these have
been captured better in the jpeg image than that
of the raw image. The green hue is better also
in the jpeg. I think this because there is more
blue tone that that of the raw image. 

It may have been better to convert the
image as "daylight" which meant the 
kelvin reading would be close to 5500
which reads and blue/green.

below is the example of the raw image 
converted to daylight white balance.

this is closer to the jpeg original image.



IMAGE 2- ARTIFICIAL LIGHT 
tungsten light back right
front white reflector
f 13.1.6 sec
wb tungsten setting


original j peg


original raw image

The image is underexposed but the original files
show instantly the variation between the captured
colour tones.

Tungsten light is very red so the camera will add
blue to balance the colour back to " white".

The jpeg colour contrast again is better than the raw
image. 

processed j peg



processed raw image


Processing notes

Both images were lighting by adding white via
levels.
Additional light was added to the shadow areas by
using the dodge tool with photoshop.

I did not change the colour balance in the jpeg 
image. In this image it was harder to control the
colour tones in photoshop as adding blue 
made the central yellow centre too blue.
As the image had already been processed
by the camera there was little changes I could
do to change the colour tones. Also contrast
was also quite high so I did not change any
contrast levels.

I had much more control over the raw image
and could instantly adjust colours in photoshop.
I used colour balance in photoshop to add yellow
to balance to the blue tones captured by the
camera. I could also increase the contrast levels
which gives the image has a bit more depth than
the jpeg image. 

findings

I prefer the raw image in this instant mostly
due to the fact I had more control of the 
final image. The strong tungsten light
meant the camera converted the jpeg
as using a 80a filter by adding blue.
This gave me little scope to change
that level in photoshop. I could also
control more the contrast levels with
the raw image. It allowed me to
produce the final image to the
colour tones and contrast levels
I prefered.


IMAGE 3- NATURAL LIGHT

natural light from right side
silver reflector left side
f25 8 sec
wb auto


original j peg



















original raw

The variation of the image colour is the 
colour variation. The j peg image
has been warmed by the camera as the
available light was shaded and therefore
seen by the camera as very blue. The
camera has then added warmth to the
image.

The raw image is as seen by the camera
and as the white balance was not adjusted
to compensate for the available light, the 
camera has read the scene as blue.

Even though the jpeg image looks more
rich and warm than the raw image at this
time. I feel the colour is too yellow and 
not representative of the actual flowers


processed j peg



















processed raw image

processing notes

both images were processed identically
but colour balance was altered on
each image

I changed levels by adding more black
to darken the back drop, but added
light using the dodge brush were needed.

I found it difficult to alter colour balance
on the j peg image as added blue made
the image look too artificial. I added some
red and green to offset the yellow tone.

On the raw image I added green and some
red to warm the image and counter balance
the overall blue tone.

I prefer the raw image as I could control the
levels and colour tones better than the j peg
image. I think the camera compensation 
for the light  has given me less scope to 
make colour changes in photoshop. I
do prefer the colour contrast and warmth
level of the jpeg. In retrospect I have added
some more saturation the the final raw image
and think this is the better final raw image


Conclusion

I have learnt through this exercise is that it is
raw images are not necessarily better than jepg
images. What raw gives you is better control
over the tone, contrast and quality of the final
image. What is important that the raw image
is captured correctly. This includes making
sure that the white balance is set correctly.
It is also important to understand what 
colour cast is being set by the camera and
also the final colour outcome you want
in the final image. This makes it so
much easier to balance tone and colour
in the final image.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.